Studio VII Theatre Co. Bylaws
I. Studio VII Theatre Co. is Seven Lakes High’s theatre arts organization, whose educational mission is to involve students in personally rewarding theatre experiences, evoke in students an excitement and appreciation for both creating and attending theatre, and develop a sense of confidence within each student for the rest of their lives. It accomplishes this by:
A. producing live theatrical productions
B. providing students with a forum to express themselves socially and creatively
C. when possible, exposing students to other outside theatre practitioners and performers.
II. Conditions of membership
A. To be eligible to join Studio VII Theatre Co. or Thespians a student must be one or more of the following:
1. Enrolled in a theatre class at Seven Lakes High School
a. Theatre Arts 1, 2, 3 or 4
b. Theatre Production
c. Technical Theatre 1, 2, 3 or 4
2. Be a paid company or individual member of the Studio VII Theatre Co.
3. Be eligible with grades according to UIL rules (70 or higher each Six Weeks)
4. Must have Consent to Treat form on file with the directors
5. Have the Random Drug Test form on file with Seven Lakes High School
B. Must participate in productions after school either by acting or working on tech and do so to the best of their abilities.
III. Conditions of removal and reinstatement:
A. A student will be removed from a Studio VII Production/ Co. if he/she receives a grade of below 70 in any course on the previous six- weeks report card. (The student may be reinstated after three weeks when the following progress report demonstrates adequate improvement per U.I.L. rules.)
B. A student will be removed from a Studio VII Production/ Co. if he/she receives two Ns or one U on the previous six-week report card. The student may be reinstated if progress report shows adequate improvement.
C. A student will be removed temporarily from the organization on any days he/she is assigned ISS and may not participate in any Studio VII activities during the day of the ISS assignment. The student will be reinstated on the day following his/her last day of ISS.
D. A student may be removed for behavior during theatre productions, theatre activities, group outings, field trips, etc. that are distracting or disturbing to others. The student will be warned of impending removal, prior to it being finalized, and given the opportunity to self- correct. If distractions persist, removal will occur. The sponsors reserve the right to decide whether or not the student will be allowed be reinstated and under what conditions.
E. A student may be removed without warning if he/she commits a Level III Offense or higher. The Sponsors reserve the right to decide whether or not the student will be allowed to be reinstated and under what conditions.
F. A student will be removed from Studio VII Theatre Co. if he/she misses 2 or more meetings/ rehearsals unexcused. The student will be eligible to re-join the following school year if criteria in Article II. A. are met.
IV. Studio VII Theatre Co. field trips.
A. To be eligible to attend a Studio VII Theatre Co. sponsored field trip a member must
1. have the required forms, such as a permission slip, signed
2. purchase a ticket in advance (unless otherwise announced)
3. dress in an Seven Lakes apparel (or an orange shirt)
4. Be enrolled in a theatre class during the time of the field trip
B. A student is ineligible to attend a Studio VII Theatre Co. field trip if:
1. the field trip occurs during a time in which the student is removed from the club (as listed in Article III.)
2. the sponsors deem that the student’s behavior on a previous field trip or other activity merits ineligibility to attend other field trips.
3. You receive a failing grade (69 or below) in any class during that UIL eligibility time period (unless the failing grade is in a PreAP, AP or GT course)
C. While on a Studio VII Theatre Co. field trip, a student must exhibit appropriate conduct as described in the K.I.S.D. Student Code of Conduct. If conduct is inappropriate, parents will be contacted and told to come get the student. Disciplinary action at the school will follow the next school day.
V. Studio VII Theatre Co. Productions
A. A member of Studio VII is not automatically a participant in a Studio VII Theatre Co. production.
B. In order to participate in a Studio VII production, a member must:
1. audition for the cast and/or sign-up for the crew
2. attend after-school rehearsals as required by the director (including Saturdays)
3. have permission slip signed by his/her parent or guardian
4. must be at least a paid individual member within the Studio VII Theatre Co. if they are either cast in a production, or on crew for a production
5. check the Charms Calendar DAILY for updates
C. A student may be removed from a Studio VII production if he/she:
1. is removed from the club for a reason listed in Article III. If a student is removed from the production because he/she is removed from the club, the director of the production is not obligated to reinstate the student into the production, even if the student is reinstated into the club. (Note: the current director’s policy is that once a student is out of a production, he/she remains out.)
2. has TWO UNEXCUSED absences from rehearsal or three tardies.
3. fails to abide by the play production contract. Each production will have a rehearsal schedule (also on the Charms Calendar) and guidelines for attendance that each participant will sign acknowledging that they will comply.
4. has excused absences that have accumulated to an excessive amount (to be determined by the director based on: reason for absences, the size/demand of the role, the student’s preparation for the role, and amount of rehearsal time left.)
VI Thespian Officers for Troupe 7014
A. Studio VII Theatre Co. members (not current Seniors, unless a current officer) will elect student officers for the next school year. All officers must be able to abide by ALL the following regulations and responsibilities:
1. complete officer packet by the due date
2. provide effective leadership all school year as well as lead by example
3. carry out the duties of his/her individual office all school year
4. manage their individual committee with weekly meetings and hold planned monthly outings
5. attend all Studio VII Theatre Co./ Thespian General Assemblies and weekly officer meetings as scheduled by the troupe director all year long
6. maintain a high level of dedication and involvement in Studio VII Theatre Co. all school year
7. be enrolled in an Upper Level Theatre course for the entire school year (Theatre 2 or higher or Tech Theatre 2 or higher)
8. have passed ALL (PreAP/ AP included) classes each six weeks the previous school year (report card is required)
9. Thespian officers are seen as role models for Troupe 7014 and at Seven Lakes. As such, Thespian officers must realize that the manner in which they conduct themselves in their classes, at official school activities, on social media and during non-school hours is considered to be representative behavior of Studio VII Theatre Co. and Troupe 7014. It is critical that Thespian officers’ conduct themselves in a manner which positively represents the students at Seven Lakes High School as well as the Theatre Department. Derogatory comments about Seven Lakes High School staff, students, productions and/or policies will not be tolerated and may result in removal from the position of a Thespian officer.
B. If an officer is no longer able to carry out his/her duties effectively or is guilty of excessive absences (2) or tardies to any meeting/rehearsal without written explanation from a parent in advance, or receives two demerits for any reason, or for any other reason as determined by the theatre directors or the school administration, will be removed from office. If an officer steps down, or is removed from office, the Troupe Director, Company directors and/or the officers will vote on or appoint a replacement officer. New candidates must complete all required paperwork.
C. There shall be seven (7) officers for Troupe 7014. They are:
1. President must be a senior at Seven Lakes High School. He/ She will preside at all meetings, appoints all standing and special committees, and directs and supervises troupe activities. He/ She is responsible for the Troupe Social Committee (Troupe get- togethers, activities to bond). Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors the: the stage, house and trash. Also responsible for checking all officers areas with the directors daily.
2. Vice President must be a junior or senior at Seven Lakes High School. He/ She will preside in the absence of the president and is responsible for the induction of new members into troupe 7014. He/she is responsible for managing all committee heads and making sure weekly meetings and monthly events are occurring. He/ She is also responsible for the Jr. High Committee (Jr. High Education, workshops, get-togethers, productions). Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors the: Black Box Theatre, booth, props closet and trash.
3. Vice President of Productions must be a junior or a senior at Seven Lakes High School and must be enrolled in Tech Theatre 3 or 4. He/ She is responsible for helping with the design and drafting of all productions as well as being in charge of supervising all crews and supervising all tech rehearsals. He/ She is responsible for the Tech Committee (tech workshops, help with Tech at Jr. Highs and local theatres, work in the PAC). Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors the: PAC Booth, lobby, spot booths, trash.
4. Secretary must be a junior or a senior at Seven Lakes High School. He/ She will keep the records of all meetings (officer, company, Thespian) and attends to troupe correspondence while using the Call Board efficiently. Will make sure “SLAM Cast” announcements are made. He/ she is responsible for the Theatre Geek of the Week Board, and updating it weekly. He/ She is responsible for Seven Lakes High Outreach for Theatre (school announcements, posters around school, lunch ticket sales, pep rallies, etc.) Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors the: the Studio (classroom), small bathrooms, the Costume Boutique and trash.
5. Historian must be a sophomore or junior at Seven Lakes High School. He/ She will keep a picture and video documentation of all productions and troupe outings throughout the year. He/ She will make a scrap book for every production to keep within the company. He/ She also maintains the calendar in the main hallway and the display case in the main hallway and changes it every month and responsible for the Check it Out board. He/ She is responsible for the Banquet EOY Slideshow and Senior Slide show. He/ She is responsible for the Charitable Hearts Committee (fundraisers, Fairy Godmother, Project Linus, BCEFA, thespian events) Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors the: the theatre hallway, big dressing rooms, the loading dock and trash.
6. Treasurer must be a sophomore or junior at Seven Lakes High School. He/ She keeps the troupe’s books and helps pays bills for Thespians, and may act as business manager of Thespian productions. He/ She works closely with the other officers and plans financially the events and fundraisers. He/ She is also in charge of all production dues and other money related jobs. He /She will attend EVERY ComedySportz match and count money from box office and concessions after every match. He/ She is responsible for the Patron Committee (collecting Thespian dues, fundraiser money, spreadsheets, donations, etc.) Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors the: the loading dock and trash.
7. Parliamentarian must be a sophomore or junior at Seven Lakes High School. He/ She maintains order and discipline at all troupe meetings, outings, and rehearsals for all productions along with the stage manager for each production. He/ She is responsible for demerits among all members and opens and closes all meetings. He/ She is responsible for the PUB Committee (bring Studio VII Theatre Co. / Thespians to the community- Improv, act-offs, community service, etc.) Responsible for checking daily for cleanliness and locked doors and closed Bay Door the: the scene shop, the dimmer room (fridge) and trash.
D. Class Representatives for the Studio VII Theatre Co. will be elected at the beginning of the school year by paid Studio VII Theatre Co. members only. There will be one class representative from the freshman class and if a sophomore is not represented in the officer board, a sophomore representative will also be elected. If there is not a class represented on the board from Article VI. C. then that class will also have a representative. Once elected, these representatives are expected to attend the weekly officer meetings and hold class meetings monthly. They will also be responsible for Office inventory and supplies.
E. All Officers and representatives will attend the Leadership Workshop at Texas Thespian Festival each year they are in office. This is an extra cost to festival.
VII Company Meetings and Thespian Meetings
A. Company Meetings will be held bi-weekly (twice a month) in the PAC or the Black Box. These meetings will be run by Troupe 7014 officers and the Troupe Director. These meetings should last no more than 15 minutes. Productions, committees, and outreach should be discussed at each meeting. Closed Thespian Meetings should be held at least once a month. Additional meetings can be added at any time, and meetings can be canceled at any time. The Studio VII website is the most up to date source for this information. The Facebook group is another place to check the status of Studio VII events.
VIII The Studio VII Theatre Co. / Thespian Bylaws may be amended or altered with the consensus of the troupe director and the school principal. As always all bylaws can be changed at any time and any bylaw can fall under the category of, “Director’s Discretion”. Officers and members will always be made aware if any alterations to the Bylaws occur.